17 February 2008

Akaroa 2

Cottage at Akaroa.
When we were kids we spent a lot of time at Akaroa as we had friends and relatives with holiday homes there . I went back a week ago (although I have been back periodically since the 1950's) to find in shock and horror that my uncles holiday home (which my Dad helped build) has been wrecked and replaced with some modern monstrosity.
The French were a big influence on early Akaroa and if they had been quicker off the mark we might have been speaking French . Many French influenced cottages remain.
Akaroa still has a nice feel and although busy in summer weekends pedestrians still rule the streets as they did 5 decades ago, something which cannot be said of many NZ towns. For me it retains much of the charm it had for us kids. Yep its still may favorite town.

(photo 20D 17-85)

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-43.806473,172.964458&spn=0.034502,0.067978&t=h&z=14

No comments: