19 February 2008

Wellington, hard to beat on a good day


White circle, home of the Che Paris, the only place you could get coffee and pancakes (shock horror) and folk music after 5pm in the early 70's . (It seemed so "hip" then, but it was an overcrowded fire trap really) . I used to go there after the movies with Malcolm (the shy and retiring used car salesman) and Jim (now CEO and owner of a global computer hardware and solutions empire).
Wellington now has more cafe's per square inch than anywhere in this country.
This end of town was a dump when I lived in Wellington.
I remember in my student days doing a cash job in this area with a few of my Tech mates. We shoveled the fire bombed remains of a restaurant out a second story window into a rubbish skip. To this day I still use the industrial quality grill trowel I found in the rubble on my barbeque, I have found none better.


How cool is this ?
Wellington has come along way since I left it.
Auckland could learn a thing or to about waterfront enhancement from Wellington.
Outside Te Papa the museum of NZ .


(photo's S5IS)

No comments: