22 August 2016

Akaroa

In the 1950's and 1960s I spent a  lot of happy time here as kid with my friends from down the street and my cousins who had adjacent family holiday homes up the Lighthouse Road.

Wikipedia Akaroa

I have not been back much since moving to the North Island in 1967 but I got the chance last week and much has changed and much has not. None looks for the worse although now it is popular with cruise ships over summer I somewhat doubt that it still has the really quaint kiwi holiday hideaway feeling it once had over summer. Thankfully it still has it mid-winter on a weekday.

Quite often the weather here can be very different to Christchurch just 1.5 hours away by car and this day was no different - it was foggy across a lot of Christchurch but spectacularly fine at Akaroa.


Akaroa Harbour from the Hilltop






No comments: