21 June 2018

Limestone formations north western Waikato - Lord of the Rings filming location


For more than 20 years on my many many work related trips between Auckland and Wellington I flew relativity low (perhaps 10,000 feet) over an interesting looking set of limestone formations in the north western Waikato.

I thought I would go and have a look at this area, the easiest access is from Port Waikato and along a short stretch of unseal road. Below is the GPS log file from my camera and an arrow indicating the general location of the formations. Unfortunately the very low sun angle resulted in much area of deep shade.

I did continue on a long, slow but very scenic route as indicated - very low traffic, no mobile phone coverage - if you go take a paper map and be willing to get your car dirty, not suitable for camper vans.

Some filming for the Lord of the Rings movie was carried out in this area - the location for "WeatherTop" - see here Lord of the Rings Wiki






No comments: